Monday, July 13, 2009

Cross Country Day 13 – Cody, WY to West Yellowstone, Montana

Took the same route to Yellowstone as the day before, but cut across the middle of Yellowstone to get to West Yellowstone. We had taken the same roads the day before, so we didn’t see anything new per say, but riding through Hayden Valley and the mountains was again - spectacular. This time, we took both PX and GTS as we were moving to West Yellowstone for the night. Being Monday, traffic was much lighter than the day before. It was nice to cruise slowly through Yellowstone without cars breathing down your neck (some cars drive obscenely fast - almost makes you wonder why they are there – obviously not enjoying the scenery!).

PX performed admirably, but the altitude was a killer. I attribute some of the “sluggishness” to the extra weight – my topcase is fully packed and is not light by any means. Plus, I’m carrying plenty of tools in the glove box, and the extra gas. Maybe I’m giving PX too much credit, but I thought it did pretty well, considering at times, we were over 8,000 ft and climbing.

The back tire of the GTS is seriously starting to worry me. Took a look at it this morning and was surprised to see so much wear – the center section is nearly flat with NO channels. I heard these stock savas suck, but I really thought they would last anther 500 miles or so. Called a bunch of places in West Yellowstone to see if they could mount a new tire, but no leads. Thinking I might have to try and reach Vespa Idaho Falls – a good 200 miles away.


Hotel View


Yellowstone Lake


Hayden Valley








On Route to West Yellowstone




No comments: